Friday, January 30, 2015

8 GB RAM

10 years back when I first bought my first computer, I asked the shop keeper to put a 64 MB RAM in the system. He said it is too high and that much memory will not be required. To convince me further he said that the computer that he uses regularly in his shop for billing has just a 1 MB RAM. But still I asked him to put a 64 MB RAM, which finally he did.

Around the same time, when I got to know that the production server of our clients had 8 GB RAM, I was surprised. I thought what it is going to do with 8 GB RAM. A couple of years later when I I installed Windows XP in my personal computer, I upgraded the RAM to 256 MB. That system still works fine, but I changed the OS to linux. Today my mobile phone has a RAM of 756 MB and it is considered a low end one in its segment.

I didn't move to upper version of Windows, since it required atleast 1 GB RAM until I bought a laptop. The first laptop I bought had a 2 GB RAM. The second and third ones had 4 GB RAM each. The net book I bought (just for fun) had a 1 GB RAM. I didn't buy a tablet, thinking it was enough, as my mini laptop was close to a tab.

The laptop given in my office had a 4 GB RAM, but still I used to see "OutOfMemory Exceptions" when I execute large software systems (bad coding???).

The first RAM that was put in my first desktop was almost the size of a half-foot ruler(7 inches approx.). Today's laptops RAM can be comfortably placed in the palm and the palm can be closed to completely hide it.

Today my laptop's RAM was upgraded to 8 GB. For the first time I am using a computing system with a 8 GB RAM. Now I think I can launch a rocket with my laptop.

- SPGR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...