Thursday, January 01, 2015

The story of my bicycle

I started riding bicycle when I was studying in second standard. Appa, and at times Sathi mama painstakingly used to run behind the cycle holding the seat. I still remember the way Appa used to run behind the cycle. In those days, I used to rent small cycle from cycle shops, which was the norm in those days. Soon I learnt to ride my Dad's Raleigh cycle in monkey pedaling and also in bar pedaling.

The moment Appa comes back from work, I used to take his cycle and go out for rounds, mostly in monkey pedaling. One day I was riding cycle along the Jesintha Akka street and came back home to have a short break and have some water. I saw a beautiful new light-blue colored cycle in front of our home.  When I went inside I saw Alukkuli Thatha (my maternal grandfather) inside, as usual in his beautiful smile. I was filled with immense joy when I got to know that he has bought and brought that cycle for me from native. I immediately took it and went for cycling again. All my friends watched it with jealousy :-).

That was a "Hercules Captain" cycle, which became my companion for the next 25 years. I went to school on it, took my sisters to school on it, went to the passport office to apply for a passport on it, and I used it to go to all the places, until my marriage. At times I have rode it for more than 14 kilometers in one stretch. I have spent lots and lots of joyful evenings with it, going for long "rounds" around our area.

Even driving a car didn't give me the pleasure and happiness that I used to get when I rode my bicycle. I started using a bike only after my marriage. Because of my personal bonding with my cycle and the memories of my grandfather associated with it and that of the happy moments I spent with it, I refused to give my cycle to anyone even when I no more needed it.

I also had a similar bonding with my small tri-cycle, which I used in my childhood. But unfortunately  it was given away and it went out of my possession. Years later I saw that tri-cycle in someone else's home, parked in front of that home. My heart became heavy and I became very sad. But there was no possibility of retrieving it again.

I definitely cannot even imagine someone else having my Hercules Captain cycle. It is still preserved in my native. Hoping to relive the happy moments with it again in the later part of my life.

My Captain Cycle

My Captain Cycle

- PAVALA G SUBRAMANIAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...