Friday, January 02, 2015

The story of my watches (2)

While I was in 10th standard, Appa bought a digital watch from a Burma Bazaar shop, which was near the Armoury gate ration shop. This was a Burma Bazaar shop selling electronic items that existed in those days, prior to the roadside Burma Bazaar shops. It was a black colored resin-strapped number watch. It had an analog face around the digital screen, purely for aesthetic reasons. I wore this watch for the whole of 10th standard and this was the watch I wore for my 10th standard public exams. Prior to this Appa got me another rectangular number watch, a model famous in those days. But unfortunately this watch was short lived.

The watches I wore in my childhood will not be complete without writing about the "shoba watch". In 7th standard my parents told me that they will get me a watch if I take good rank in the half-yearly examination. That was the time when I started showing good interest in my studies and I think I got 2nd rank in that exam. One evening when parents returned from town(in TVS 50), they bought a new "shoba watch". It was a HMT ladies model winding watch. They gave the watch to me. It didn't fit my wrist, but still I wore to school for a couple of days, and also wore it for the exams. After that my mother started using it. The watch still works and in my last visit to my native, I keyed it and it immediately started ticking.

[Pic: HMT Shoba]

HMT Shoba

- PAVALA G SUBRAMANIAN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...