Thursday, January 29, 2015

Republic Day Parade

On the 66th Republic Day I woke up at 9 AM. Somewhat early when compared to my normal waking time on a holiday. As soon as I woke up I remembered the Republic day parade that will be live telecasted from Delhi. Immediately switch on the TV and kept DD National. Around that time our President, Prime Minister and our chief guest for the 66th Republic day - Obama, the US President and the First Lady of US arrived at the dais for the function. I vaguely remember that the President used to come in a Chariot driven by horses. But now he came in a posh car.

I like the way in which Obama affectionately took Michelle to the dais. I think it is this love and care that every wife would expect from her husband, and Michelle is lucky in that aspect. When Obama sat on the chair allocated to him, I was happy and for a moment thought that he was seated in a chair in the hall of our home. It was raining and to some extent Mr. Obama got wet, though a person was holding a big umbrella for him. I think they didn't anticipate rain at that time and no arrangements were made to handle it. Some of the delegates got wet in the rain, as there was no umbrella for them. For sometime, I felt sad and indeed panicked upon seeing Obama getting wet in the rain. He is our guest!!! But it seemed that he didnt mind much about it.

[Pic: Obama and Modi]


I also had a tough time making my little friends Dhanu and Deepu standing in attention for the National Anthem. Also they wanted to see the "Motu Patlu" and "Ninja Hattori" instead of this program. I have to convince them saything they are given a holiday only to watch this program. Indeed in those moments I felt the belonging and closeness to my mother country. When the Ashoka  Chakra award was handed over to Mrs. Indu Mukunth, our PM Modi explained the situation to Obama. Mrs. Indu Mukunth was found bold and courageous while receiving the award.

[Pic:Ashoka Charka]


When the camera turned to the audience, I could spot Arvind Kejriwal, as usual with a Muffler around his head. Such a gesture in my home state implies that he has lost everything (thalaila thundu). I could also see Manmohan-ji with his wife. Sonia Gandhi was also present in the audience.

[Pic: Arvind Kejriwal, in his usual attaire]


Normally the Republic day celebrations in Chennai will be tele casted in DD Pothigai in parallel to the National Event. But this time, it was the Delhi event that was relayed in all the DD Channels. The Regional celebrations by the Governers of the State followed as a recorded program.

- SPGR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...