Friday, January 02, 2015

The story of my watches (1)

I do not know when my obsession for wrist-watches started. I am neither punctual nor understand the importance of time. Recently when my sister asked why I have the obsession for watches, after a long thinking, I said "May be they were the first sophisticated devices I ever had in my life."

The earliest memories of me having a watch dates back to my childhood when I wore digital watches, more popularly known as number watches in those days. These wrist watches were bought by Appa during his "line duty" to Delhi. Those were the "ladies model digital watches" and were initially used by Amma.

I still remember the look, feel and color of two such watches. Once dark blue(the Casio blue) and another golden-yellow. They had a stainless steel case, back cover and chain. They were cute little watches with a simple machine inside. I continued to use one among - on and off - till I was in 9th standard. They were also the prey of my early inquisition to know about the internal workings of a watch. Two decades later, I realized that those watches were the imitations of the famous Casio-Mini ladies model watches.

Those watches were eventually destroyed by me. Now I sadly remember hitting one of them with a hard stone in an attempt to open it, which destroyed it. Also in that watch, I discovered that the screen(the LCD one) is made up of multiple thin layers. Yes, I peeled the layers of the screen one-by-one.

Had I preserved them, those would have been my invaluable collectives now. But unfortunately, they continue to exist - only in my memory.

[Pictures of Casio Mini below]




- PAVALA G SUBRAMANIAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...