Tuesday, January 06, 2015

The story of my watches (4)

HMT Kohinoor:

This is my grandfather's watch. It laid idle for many years after it came into my possession. While at college I asked my father to give it for servicing. He gave it an old watch mechanic who brought it back to an excellent state. This watch mechanic was a retired school headmaster who had taken up watch sales and repair after his retirement. Around this time I was in college and in hostel. I used to come home once in a month. Once when I came I found that the watch was serviced and ready for use. I keyed it in. But unfortunately I kept keying in, until I heard a knocking sound and the watch stopped working. The main spring gave up. My father took it again to the headmaster, who repaired it again. In the next time when I keyed in, I keyed very carefully and stopped with 12 winding. But this time, unfortunately I dropped the watch, with the crown directly falling on the floor and receiving the impact. The crown was still functional, but it got into a slanting position. Appa again took it to the headmaster, who probably would have replaced the crown. After these two incidents I never touched the watch for a long time.

Nearly after a decade, I took this watch to the HMT service center. The watch mechanic there serviced it and brought it back to near showroom condition. This time, the face-plate is changed to a grey colored one, and also the back plate is changed, since the original back plate had a minor crack in it. But, through these upgradations, it lost its vintage look. Now the movement and needles were the only ones from my grandfather's days. Now I think that I should have changed the needles too :-).

[pic: HMT Kohinoor, My Grandfather's Watch]

HMT Kohinoor
- SPGR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...