Friday, June 29, 2012

Travel Diary : Nagerkoil Trip May 2012 - (3) - Around the city:

One of my aim during the trip was to go around the city, alone and also with family. Fortunately, got lot of opportunities to go around the city.

At first I wanted to see the clock which I came to know was in the middle of the city. It is referred to as the "Manimedai" there. The tower houses one of the oldest clocks which is running for more than 100 years. I followed the directions of Mama and went and located a clock tower. But I was dis-appointed to see that it was rather a small one. When I came home back, I got to know that it is not the one I was looking for and I had to go further down to see that vintage clock tower.

Meenakshipuram Clock tower
[Pic: This is the one I mis-took for the "Manimedai" clock tower]

Again I started making trips, and located a big red-coloured tower, but there was no clock in it. Later I found that it is indeed the clock tower and now the clock doesnt have 4 faces, but only one face and the remaining 3 faces were removed. The remaining 1 face of the clock didnt show the correct time. There was a statue of the actor "N.S.Krishnan" in front of the tower.


[Pic: Clock tower with N.SKrishnan statue in the front]

Then I wanted to see the house of N.S.Krishnan and the Pioneer Muthu theatre. N.S.Krishnan was a famous comedian in the olden days. His wife Madhuram was also a comedian and they co-started in many old black & white movies. His house and the Pioneer Muthu theatre were on the same road. His house is about 1.5 kms from the main road. It now serves as a Godown for some transport company.

The house looks very very old, no proper maintainance, no painting, nothing. It had very big doors which seemed to be kept open all the time. This was not the house I had in mind. I was expecting a posh house with security guards. I thought how this house should have been some 50-60 years back. Mama explained that though N.S.Krishnan built this house, most of the time he lived in Chennai and after his death, his son lived here. He was stabbed to death during a quarrel when he was drunk, and that the house was let out and mostly ignored. I had plans to go inside and see the house. But upon see the condition of the house, I dropped that idea and returned.

N.S.Krishnan & his wife T.A.Maduram


A view of the house from entrance

Another view



This  is the office that is functioning there now

[Pic: N.S.Krishnan's House]

On the way back saw the Pioneer Muthu theatre. Since it was closed, took a picture from outside and returned home.


[Pic: Pioneer Muthu Theatre]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...