Thursday, June 28, 2012

Travel Diary : Nagerkoil Trip May 2012 - (2) - Nagaraja Temple Visit:

The Nagaraja temple was very close to the city, contrary to my guess that it will be in the outskirts. The temple is just around 4 kms from Vadasery. When the car crossed the main entrance, my little friend Dhanu immediately said "Appa, Ithu snake ooda temple"("Appa, this is snake's temple"). I was wondering how he identified. Later got to know that he had noticed the 2 big Nagaraja statues on either side of the entrance. Forgot to tell, the city got the name Nagerkoil due to this temple.


They are allowing the cars and vehicles inside the main entrance. It was very narrow and for a "Katthukutty"("Learner") driver like me, it was very challenging and indeed I managed to drive the Hyundai GETZ into it. I have to thank my Mama for beliving in me and allowing me to take the driver's seat. But once upon a time, I had to run around the car to take that seat :-). More on that later, if possible :-). Finally we parked the car inside the temple(parking charge Rs. 10). When I came out and turned behind, I saw a beatuful, old temple, with a nice pond in front of it.

 [Pic: Front view of the Nagaraja temple]

We entered temple, we men were supposed to remove our shirts and banians, as per the tradition in Kerala and Nagarkoil. My little friend Dhanu refused to do that and he declared that he wont come inside the temple if he had to do that. Then, the people nearby said that since he is a baby, he need not remove his shirts and he can enter the temple.

When we went to the main Sannathi, there were some Poojai going on and people were standing and some were sitting in front of the God, waiting for the pre-poojai events to get over. I had a good time watching the funny single packs of the half-naked men there. Those men also would have had a nice time seeing my single pack :-).

Then the Poojai started and we prayed to the Nagaraja God. Mama went to the front rows to get the Prasadham. Mama said that we have to give atleast Rs. 10 to get the Prasadam, otherwise there are chances that we may not get it. On hearing the word "Prasadham", I thought that Mama will come back with Pongal or Puliyodharai or something similar to that and was anxiously waiting. After a couple of minutes, Mama came with a banana leaf. I was even more happy to see the banana leaf in his hand, and my hope of finding an eatable increased. But Alas!!! It had Sandanam, Thiruneer & Puthuman(Sand from the snake God's home). My friend explained that this is the Prasadham.


[Pic: Prasadham of Nagaraja temple]

Pond in the front
One of the Nagaraja statue in front of the temple

Then we went around the temple, visited to other Gods there and came out. I was surprised to see that people were buying milk in small Mugs. Found that they pour that milk to the numerous Snake Gods planted in front of the temple. Think this type of praying is unique in to the Nagaraja temple.

While driving back from the temple another challenge awaited me. Not only the entrance was narrow, but there was a steep slope from the temple leading to the entrance. I managed this time too :-)... Think I am no longer a "Kathukutti" driver...

The Challenge in front of me
[Pic: Way out from the Nagaraja temple]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...