Monday, June 18, 2012

New Year Resolutions

That was the last working day of that year. I was sitting in my class and that was the last period of that day. I was in my 10th class. Vasantha miss, who was handling that class stood in front of the class and asked this question: "What is your new year resolution?"

That was the first time I heard that question in my life. She went on and explained, "every year we need to set and get used to some good habit in our life." She explained how a habit followed for an year becomes a habit for life-time. She listed out some of the resolutions that she took over the past couple of years and her last year's resolution was to wake up at 4:30 AM in the morning and explained how it had helped her to complete her house-hold works, help her kids and husband and get prepared for the day.

That gave us a clear idea what a new year resolution is. Then she asked each and every one of us to say what our new year resolution is. As usual it started from the first persion in the first row. Without much time to think or prepare each went on to say different things. Like "I will do my home-work regularly", "I will dress neatly", so on and so forth.

When my turn came, I told-though I was thinking about various things in my mind-"I wont tell any lies". The whole class started laughing. After that I didnt notice what others said, but instead went on to think how I am going to implement and keep up that resolution. I went home conciously thinking that from tomorrow-from the new year day-I should not tell any lie.

Its new year and I kept myself away from telling a lie. I was surprised to realize the number of opportunities I got, where I normally otherwise used to lie - small, medium and large. Towards the end of the day, I decided to keep quite without talking a word so as not to tell a lie and thus to keep up my new habit and thereby my new year resolution.

But nothing could help me on the second day. I had to tell a lie towards the end of the day. The next day when I went to school, I almost forgot about my new year resolution and I was very well back to my normal life. Vasantha miss came in the afternoon for the maths class and asked her usual question "How many didnt do your homework? Stand up." I totally forgot about doing my homework in the holidays and I was one among those who stood up. She asked each one the reason for not doing the homework and punished them based on the reason ranging from one to several bangs in the palm with two wooden scales held together.
When it was my turn, I told "Miss, I have done the home work, but I forgot to bring the home work note to the class", in an attempt to get the minimal punishment. She looked into my eyes and then said "ok" and went away. She just believed my words and didnt punish me at all.
After that I definitely make a resolution every year and follow it sincerely for the first few hours on the first day of the year, and eventually forget it. One day I want to meet my Vasantha Miss and apologize for that lie and hope a day comes when I will be able to keep up the first new year resolution of my life.
- spgr.

2 comments:

  1. So.. What's your new year resolution for 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Dhanesh Amma]: Thanks. I will keep up my New Year Resolution from this year. This is my New Year Resolution.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...