Sunday, February 22, 2015

Siva Rathiri

Like most Tamils the first thing that comes to my mind on a Siva Rathiri day is the "Siva Rathiri" song from the movie "Micheal Madhana Kama Rajan". All these years I was believing that they danced on a Siva Rathiri day. This year only I understood that they made their "Subha-Rathiri" a "Siva-Rathiri".

This year the Siva-Rathiri was on Feb 17. This year I decided to observe the Siva-Rathiri by keeping awake all through the night. Earlier I read in a book about the rituals to be followed on a Siva-Rathiri day. From the nearby Siva temple, I got to know that there will be five Poojas all through the night in the timings 7:00 PM, 10:00 PM, 1:00 AM, 4:00 AM and 6:30 AM. I decided to got to temple and participate in the Poojas at 7:00 PM, 10:00 PM and 6:30 AM.

Morning as soon as I woke up, I watched the "Siva Rathiri" song that I mentioned in the first paragraph three times. Then prayed to God in home and went to office. Came a bit early from office in the evening. I missed the Pooja at 7:00 PM. So, prayed at home around that time. I went to temple around 9:40 PM, and stood in a big queue. Reached God in about minutes and prayed. Got Prasadam and reached back home. After dinner, I started my Siva-Rathiri. Worked on office tasks till around 2:00 AM. After that I didn't know what to do. Just kept reading some blogs.

Every one hour I was hitting mosquitoes with the mosquito bat all around the house. In that way I was able to keep myself busy. I somehow managed till 4:00 AM. After that it became really difficult to be awake. But still I pushed and managed till 5:00 AM. From 5:00 AM, I started preparing to take a bath and visit temple. Around 6:00 AM, I went to temple again and prayed to God. This time there were not many in the temple. Prayed and came back home, but surprisingly I didn't get sleep. I laid down for sometime on the cot, but still didn't get sleep. So, I started my routine and went to office. I felt very tired in office, but still I was able to manage. But there was a calmness in my mind and a sense of satisfaction.

In the night after dinner, slept early and had a long deep sleep. Thus my first attempt to observe "Siva Rathiri" went successfully.

- SPGR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...