Sunday, February 22, 2015

Designated Story Teller

You have to believe me. Like "Software Engineer", "Senior Assistant", "Section Engineer", "Technical Assistant", the "Designated Story Teller" is the job title of a person who came to my little friend Deepak's school. Her main work is to tell stories to the kids. I was surprised to find that such a job exist nowadays. 

When I was a child, it was my grandparents who used to tell stories. Primarily my maternal grandparents and when considering the number of stories told, its my maternal grandfather. I still remember many of the stories told by him. Most of those stories were from him his imagination. One of his famous story was that of a King who makes an attempt to go to a war, but the wheel of his vehicle gets broken. He tries all vehicles right from a chariot till cycle, but the cycle too gets punctured. Finally he decides to go by walk, when he falls into a pit and his leg gets broken, where the story ends. 

But these days, the grandparents neither have the time to spend with their grandchildren nor they have the time to tell stories to them. This situation has given rise to jobs like "Designated Story Tellers" like the Madam who visited Deepak's school. They charge a hefty amount it seems. They come with lot of charts, toys, and using them they tell stories to the kids. I am not sure if kids enjoy them, but got to know that some kids slept while hearing them. This is a success on their part to some extent, since the main intent of telling stories to the kids is to make them sleep. 

Due to the changing lifestyle I think we can expect many such new jobs which we would have never had heard. 

- SPGR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...