Sunday, December 02, 2012

My Experiments with Dancing

Though even in school days I have witnessed many dance events in the Annual day functions, they didn't attract me much. But when I was studying UG in PSG Tech, Coimbatore,  there used to be a function called Calypso, an inter-college meet of all PSG Group of institutions. There I saw a groups of Girls from PSG CAS and GRG dancing on the stage. That was a well-rehearsed, practiced stage show.
Still that was interesting. On seeing that I used to feel that someday I too should dance like that. But I know very well that I may not get a chance to dance on the stage.

Driven by the desire to dance (or) to learn dancing, I used to try some little steps in my hostel room, seeing which at times my roommate used to laugh. But within a few days this landed me in a trouble. One day I was sleeping and it was around 11:30 in the night. My roommate woke me up...
"Pavala... Pavala... Wake-up... Wake-Up..."
"What da..."
"Our seniors asked me to bring you..."
"For what..."
"They got a  chance to participate in tomorrow's event... They got 10 minutes, and they can do whatever they want in that 10 minutes..."
"And why they want me to come..."
"They are going to dance and they want someone to teach them..."
"Ohhhh... And who told that I can dance???"
"Me..."
"Deiiiii... I cant dance da... I dont know how to dance..."
"Dont worry... Just teach them what you know..."
"I know nothing..."


It became clear that now there is no point in arguing with  him. As you know during college days seniors are demi-Gods. I woke up and we both went to their room in the B Block. Once I entered their room, I found a huge crowd, roughly of about 30 people waiting for me. A senior, who is known to terrorize his juniors was summoned to explain me what I am supposed to do. I told him that I cant dance... I dont know how to dance... At once he changed his tone and started threatening me... Some others started convincing me... And finally almost all of them started pleading to teach them whatever I know... I was giving different reasons that I could not dance, and this went on for about 40 minutes... After 40 minutes it became clear to me that I cant go back to my room, without dancing and without teaching them something...

They played the song. It was some English song, which I didnt know. With no other option, I  had to jump into action. I heard the song once, asked them to play it again... and started dancing... Keeping my legs in "Stand At Ease" position, I moved two steps to the left, then two steps to the right and again two steps to the left, two steps to the right, then turned sidewards and spread my arms horizontally... It seemed that they got impressed... And I had to do the same steps again and again for the next 30 minutes,  until they learnt it. Eight Guys stood in two rows of four each, and they kept practicing. In the mean time they found out another Guy from some other department and brought him there. Then we both worked together until 3:30 in the morning. My primary job being learning the steps from  him and repeating it again and again until our seniors picked it up... In the mean time I started enjoying this work... The practice sessions went on in the next day afternoon too...

Next day evening the function started, and I was anxiously waiting for my seniors to arrive on the stage. After a very long time, towards the end of the event, they appeared. The stupid announcer, announced in the mike that that was the last performance for the day. Half of the crowd dissolved on hearing that. They stood in two rows of four each... the music started playing... and they started moving two steps to the left, two steps to the right... exactly in the same way I did on the previous night... and when they turned and spread their arms... almost all of the audience dissolved and dis-appeared... Only a handful of people were left... Though the steps were funny, it still made me happy... may be, because of the joy of creation... I and the primary choreographer stayed back till they completed... clapped and then we too went to room back...

Then while doing PG in NIT, Trichy, there used to be a function called "Version" in our department. In that some were given chance to dance on the stage during dance events... We Guys used to take this chance and dance, in the front, right below the stage, exactly imitating the steps on the stage... And this imitation and dancing reaches its peak when gang of girls dance of the stage... Due to this type of training, now it is very easy for me to learn and imitate the girls steps...

Then I joined for work. My first company was TCS, training in Trivandrum Technopark. Just one week before the training was about to get over, my batchmates arranged for a party and a get together. There they had arranged something close to a DJ party... In a big hall, with fancy lights & loud music, people started dancing... I was entirely new to that type of situation and I kept on watching... After a long time, with lots of hesitation, I too entered, by which time almost all had stopped and only a few were dancing... I started dancing and in order to encourage me, my colleague Gurleen Chawla, just came in front of me and accompanied me in the dance... I was sort of embarrassed, and tried to stop and go out.. But she kept dancing according to my steps and I too continued and this went on for more than 15 minutes... Right at that moment, my another colleague, who was carrying a camera, caught that moment in a flash(pun intented :-)...)... Finally we both were the only ones dancing and all were watching... When we stopped there was a huge round of applause for us :-)...

Then at work, I never got a chance again and I almost forgot about dancing, until one day a DJ party was announced in my third company iGATE. That was sometime in May 2012. I went there 30 minutes after the party started and was just watching it... But after sometime after hearing the loud music and the fancy light, I couldnt resist and just jumped into the dance floor... It was there that I rediscovered my hobby again... I thought of going out in 10 minutes... But I stayed back... and tried to dance till the end of the party... But only a very few were dancing and there was no much audience... I enjoyed that day...

A sample clip for your view... :-)...
 
Then again another DJ party announced in office in Nov 2012... Finally that became one of the most memorable day of my life, which I will explain in a separate post... 

- Pavala.

[Click on the comment link below for adding your comments... Comments can be added anonymously & strictly no moderation is done... :-)...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...