Saturday, October 20, 2012

Actress Savithri

Since January 2012 I am on a long paid rest ;-). With no other work to do, most of the day I spent on browsing and learning new things. Recently I happened to read about the lives and gossips about some of the old tamil movie stars in a blog, during which I came across the life of Vintage actress Savithri. Though I was not a fan of her, I was forced to see some of her movies that were in put in DD.

Savithri - in a Black & White movie

Savithri - in a colour movie

[Savithri]

During my childhood, during casual talks, Amma used to tell me about Savithri and I was surprised to know that she was the wife of Actor Gemini Ganesan. For long I thought that she was his only wife. When I grew up, I got to know she was not his first wife and indeed he had many wives.

Savithiri & Gemini Ganesan

[Gemini Ganesan & Savithri]

The stories that Amma told us in the morning, mostly when she was in her kitchen work in the mornings were some of the moments, I cherish. It had no boundries on subjects, which I think was the starting point of my life to search and know more and more in life and world & at one point of time I understood that this search is never going to end...

As part of her stories, one day she explained about the last days of Savithri, probably which she would have read from magazines. I was very sad for Savithri on that day. Today while searching for Savithri, I came across a very rare photo of Savithri, taken when she was ill. It exactly matched the description given by Amma. Today also I became sad for sometime and I believe Savithri's soul rests in peace.

Savithri in her illness - Her Son Sathish, Gemini and Doctor(probably) behind
[Savithri]

A detailed account of Actress Savithri is available in the following link:
http://rinkster.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/was-gemini-completely-responsible-for-savitri%E2%80%99s-death/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...