Sunday, August 16, 2020

When I saw "Gupt"

I was in my first year college in UG and was a hosteler. It was the initial days of my hostel life and I was slowly get accustomed to its lifestyle, when one day, some of my hostel mates asked me if I can join them for a movie trip. After some thought I said "Ok", got ready and started with them. Coimbatore was a new city to me, and in that bus journey to Pookadai, which was in R.S. Puram, I was gazing outside to see how the city looks like. We got down from the bus and headed towards the "Central" theatre. After getting the tickets, we entered the big hall of the theatre. It was an old theatre, where my Father had also seen movies, while he was in hostel in Coimbatore. 


[Pic: Coimbatore Central theatre]

Got to know that it was renewed recently and as part of the renewal, it also became a DTS theatre. As I entered, the movie "Gupt" had already started, and observed that the sound was coming from different directions. I was confused and kept on turning my head and looking in the directions from where the sounds came. When I sat on the chair, a dog was barking on the screen, and the sound came from somewhere under my chair, as if the dog was below the chair. That was a wonderful experience. As an audiophile, I was amazed and was enjoying the crystal-clear sounds. Shortly afterwards, the song "Duniya haseeno ka mela" started and that was the first time I enjoyed seeing and listening to that song in DTS sound, an experience that I am unable to explain in words now. The song still remains my favorite and every time I hear that song, I remember the experience I had on that day. 


[Pic: Bobby Deol - Hair Style]

Another thing I noticed was the hair style of its hero "Bobby Deol", a different version of funk style, that was famous at that time, and I liked it the moment that I saw. I decided that someday I will have that hairstyle. Known as a "sombu"(Geek), I thought how people in my known circle will react when I have that hair-style. This dream came true after 12 years. I also wanted to dance like him, and this dream also came true nearly after 18 years. I also wished to do one more thing at that time. I will tell about that once it gets realized ;-). 

The story was a "Crime Thriller". But it had an easily guessable story. Typical masala type story of the late 90s and the early 2000s. Was still an enjoyable one. 

The next major breakthrough in my movie watching experience was watching a movie that had atmos sound feature. This time I watched with my father. Will try to write about it sometime.

- Pavala



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...