Sunday, November 16, 2014

Trivandrum Memories (2)

Trivandrum Memories (1)

Temple:

There were no temples near the place that I stayed in Pattom. Only 2 churches were nearby, in front of which I prayed a couple of times. On a weekend, I went alone to the Padmanabha Swamy temple, on a Morning. I enjoyed the visit to the temple and the serenity and divine-ness of the temple. Also on my last weekend in Trivandrum, all of a sudden I decided and again went to the Padmanabha Swamy temple.

Padmanabhaswamy Temple

Language:

Malayalam was understandable. But almost everyone there were able to speak Tamil. Their Malayalam accent was also close to Tamil. On the first day, when I went to the nearby Woodlands hotel for lunch, I tried my best to speak in Malayalam with the server, but he replied to me in clear Tamil. Got to know that most of the guys working in the Woodlands hotel are from Tirunelveli. I thought that I will be able to learn a little conversational Malayalam, but never got that chance.


Outings:

I never liked to go out, normally in those days. But once my colleagues compelled and took me to an outing. On that day, it was planned to visit the Kovalam and Veli beach. Unlike the beaches of Tamil Nadu, Kovalam beach was pretty with a beautiful landscape. I enjoyed seeing the beauty of the Kovalam beach. The view of the light house in the Kovalam beach was wonderful. At that moment, I decided that I should visit the beach again with family sometime in future.

Kovalam Beach with the light-house in the background

From Kovalam we went to the Veli beach. The road to Veli beach was wonderful with many beautiful scenaries in the back-waters of Kerela. Especially I like the place where the road was made by digging out a rocky mountain, and the rocks from the mountain were protruding from both sides of the road. I have seen this place in many movies, including the recent ones.

Veli


Strike:

Strikes are absolute strikes there. Every month we have at least 2 strikes and nothing functions on the day of strike. Strike means holiday for us too, except on one particular strike day, our office functioned. On that day, in the morning, we got the company vans to reach office, but the evening we were asked to go back to our rooms on our own. We didn't know how to go back. So, we started by walk through the rear gate of the technopark and after an adventurous walk through an area that almost looked like a forest, we reached a main road and started waiting there, without knowing where to go or what to do. After 6 o clock, buses started coming. I took one bus and after getting into the bus, go to know that it wont go to Pattom. But the conductor gave me ticket to some place in-between and he said that from there I can get a bus to Pattom. I got down in that stop and saw a big Govt hospital and a medical  hospital in front of that bus-stop. I had tea in a shop, which used to be my habit, whenever I visit a new place in those days. Whenever a  bus crosses, I used to ask some neighbour where the bus goes. Finally around 7 o clock I got a bus to Pattom, and reached my room.


Return:

All the training and the final examination got over and it was time to return. The final feedback from our batch co-ordinator Alby was that they expected more from me, and I do have the capability to perform better and deliver more, and that they are dis-appointed on that. Later I came across the same statement several times in my career and got to know that it is a standard template statement delivered by the managers during the appraisal.

The last day was a watershed for many in the batch. Almost everyone was crying. I didn't cry, as I was happy to return to Chennai, for some personal reasons ;-). One pretty girl from our batch kept on talking to me since morning till evening. I couldn't understand the reason, but at the end of the day, my room-mate disclosed to me that he had informed her - for fun - that I had a crush on her. In those days, I was so immatured that I became angry with him and never talked to him again.

We all returned to our room, and the same van which used to take us to our office, took us to the bus stand. I had booked ticket in the bus. It was raining heavily when I got into the bus. I got into the bus at 7:58 PM as the last person, and the bus started at 8:00 PM.


Re-Visit:

Trivandrum was a lovely city, packed with nice people. I always wished to have a visit again to that city, which materialized after 11 years, when I visited with my Friend and Little Friends, accompanied by my parents-in-law. I have written about it here. By this time, my life has changed so much that I even had a couple of relatives in the beautiful city of Trivandrum.

- SPGR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...