Thursday, April 18, 2013

Nagercoil Trip April 2013 - Tamil New Year & "Kai-Neettam"


This year our Tamil New Year started in my in-laws place - Nagerkoil. Before going into those details, let me tell about my encounters with this city. Nagerkoil is a small(but growing) city in the southmost part of Tamil Nadu, just above Kanniyakumari(19 kilometers from Kanniyakumari). I have first heard the name of this city during my childhood from our Shanmugam Mama, my Dad's friend. Mams's native was Nagercoil. Whenever Mama visits our home, we hear the word "Nagerkoil" atleast 10 times.



Way back in 2003, I was travelling by train to Trivandrum, for joining in my first company. I was sleeping in the side-lower birth. Around 1:30 in the night, when the train was passing across Nagerkoil Junction. I was disturbed from my sleep by people getting ready to get down at Nagerkoil and at that time I peeped out of the window. I saw a couple of big white colored fans rotating. Actually they were power generating windmills. At that time (and even now) I had a special interest over the city, as it was my friend's native and I kept awake and kept gazing out through the window till the train crossed Nagerkoil.

While returning from Trivandrum - this time by bus - it was raining heavily. I kept looking through the window when the bus was crossing Nagerkoil. While at Trivandrum, I liked the city felt that I should settle down in such a small, calm and beautiful city. Nagerkoil was also close to that - a small & calm city. But nowadays its gradually changing. 




Now, lets come back to our Tamil New Year celebrations. The specialty of Tamil New Year in Nagerkoil is - "Kai-Neettam"(in Tamil this means "extending the hand"), a custom in while elders give money to the younger generations and bless them. So, a nice custom... We get blessings & money too. On April 14th, as usual I woke up around 9:00 AM, when my Sister-in-law gave "Kai-Neettam" to my little friends and blessed them. Then my Parents-in-law gave "Kai-Neettams" to all of us. And the "Kai-Neettams" continued. Around the same time I started getting New Year wishes over phone from parents and sisters. Thus we got a considerable amount in hand and I thought why dont such a function come every month :-).

Then we all got ready and went to the nearby Krishnankoil Temple. I was surprised to find that my friend had never been there. It was a nice temple. We prayed to God peacefully. These days our Deepu kutty starts praying by folding his hands whenever he sees God.

Overall it was a happy day and we all had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...