Friday, March 16, 2012

Tirumalai @ Trivandrum

It was in 2003 when I was attending training as a fresher in Trivandrum that Vijay's Tirumalai got released. I was new to Kerala, home-sick, pulled our of my comfort zone and trying to get adapted to the new environment and life-style. We all trainees were staying in a hotel called Aruvi, in Pattom, Trivandrum.


[Hotel Aruvi(Aruvi Tourist home), Pattom, Trivandrum]

In the picture above, the gate on the extreme left is the hotel's main gate. Now a security is found sitting there, in those days there was no such security. The door next to it is a phone booth, run by the same Hotel Aruvi. In this phone booth, I had spent long hours, both for calling home and also for a hidden agenda :-). And next to it is Woolands hotel, where we used to have our food.

On a weekend, on one afternoon, I decided to watch a movie in theatre. Among the movies running there at that time, I decided to go for Vijay's movie Thirumalai. In those days, I like to watch watch Vijay's movies in theatres, mainly for the fast songs and the accompanying dance sequences.

I got ready, went to the bus stop nearby Aruvi hotel and got into the town bus that goes to the bus stand. In the bus stand I didnt know where to go or how to reach the theatre. I didnt even know in which theatre the mvoie was put up. I was heading for the morning 11:30 show. I found an auto outside the bus stand and told the auto Chetan about my situation. He at once jumped into action. He took a newspaper, that he had kept by inserting between the auto's iron frame and the auto's rexin roof. He turned the pages, saw the advertisement of movies released in theatres, located Thirumalai and found that it was put up in the Ajantha theatre. And he drove fast to that theatre as the time was already 11:25.


 [Ajantha Theatre, Trivandrum]

The auto reached the theatre at 11:35(five minutes late). Paid and thanked the Chetan, and ran to the counter. The person at the counter said that only Rs. 12 ticket was available. I didnt mind it, as my only intention at that time was to somehow enter the theatre. I got the ticket, ran to the hall and entered the auditorium. The movie was already put up and I just stood at the gate after entering, since the hall was so dark and I couldnt see anything clearly. Then after getting some visibility of the path, slowly went inside and sat in the seat number mentioned in my ticket. That was the first row in the theatre and it was very close the screen. I had to lift my head up to see the screen and turn my head left and right, if I had to watch the individual characters on the screen. Intially, it appeared to be a nuisance, but once I started involving in the movie, I became ok. I also convinced myself that since I am in the first row, I am seeing the movie before everyone else in the hall, however fast the light travels :-). Exactly after I sat, the song "Vaadi Amma Jakkamma" started. So fast movements, fast music and I was satisfied that it was worth coming all the way from Pattom.

The movie had a boring story, with boring twists and turns. Still I enjoyed and watched the movie :-). Had pop-corn in the interval. After the movie was over, walked back to bus-stand. On the way, found a mid-sized hotel and had meals. The first question they ask in the hotel is "White rice?". I know that there is another kind of rice there - brown rice, a little bit big in size, which gives the feeling of chewing a bubble gum for those who are not used to it and hence difficult to swallow. Had a good lunch with all types of non-veg curries, chicken side-dish. From the bus stand got a bus and reached Pattom back.

- Pavala.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are Welcome... Comments can be added Anonymously and will be Visible after Moderation...